Friday, November 13, 2009

Superstitious?

It is a good thing I am not superstitious.  I had a couple of things would have sent me over the edge today if I was. :)

First, I was typing up my weekly newsletter to my students' parents last night when I noticed something interesting.  I'm in my 13th year of education, it is the 13th issue of the newsletter I am sending home this year, and I am sending it home on Friday the 13th.  That's right...a 13 - 13 - 13...

Second, on my way to school today, a huge turkey vulture flew up from the road about five feet in front of me.  Some people may think having a huge black bird fly up in front of you is not a good omen...I actually thought it was pretty cool.  I have only ever seen the "V" shape of the bird gliding in the sky, so this up close look (even though it was brief) was really nice.

I find it very interesting the hold Friday the 13th has on some people.  It is not as if Paraskevidekatriaphobia has been around since the dawn of man.  It is often stated that it comes from October 13th, 1307 when the Knights Templar were arrested in France.  Others say that it did not even come to be until the 20th century.

I always find these type of things interesting...especially when you find some cultures find the number 13 to be a lucky number.  Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment