Monday, September 21, 2009

Frogs, Frogs, Everywhere...

I do not know if it is the rain, or just the time of year, but I have been seeing a lot of frogs lately.  Last night, I went on a walk with my dogs.  A couple of minutes in, I saw something hopping across the sidewalk - a little toad.  About half-way through the walk, the dogs all of the sudden stopped and looked to the side.  I followed their gaze and saw the biggest frog I have seen in a long time.  It had to be at least 5 - 6 inches long.  I am guessing it was a bullfrog.  Near the end, we saw a medium-sized toad.  So I saw the small, medium, and large of the frog and toad family on that walk.

Today, my wife and I took the dogs on a longer walk around the lake.  It was in full sunlight, and I still saw three small toads along the way hopping along the path.  These were a reddish brown in color though.

I also saw another interesting thing on the walk today.  Earlier in the year, we had seen mother turtles laying eggs along the path we walk around the lake.  I though all of them had been eaten or hatched by now.  However, today we saw a hole that was newly dug out of and had the remains of hatched eggs.  It looked like all the baby turtles had made it into the reeds. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment